Monday, September 21, 2015

Where's Lucy?

We have spent the last few weeks stripping Lucy to the frame.  It is a little sad to have to take all of her original wood out but there was so little left that was any good, I decided to just start over completely. It is also a little hard to call her Lucy since all of her personality is now at the dump.


Before tearing the sides down, I hung up new plywood and traced the old wall. I am using 1/2" OSB for the outer layer of the camper wall.  Luckily I had some help hanging the boards.


After that, it was a simple matter of removing the rest of the wooden structure.  Once it was all down, I used a wire wheel on a grinder to remove all the paint and rust from the frame.  Make sure to wear safety glasses and a mask if you do this.  Grinding on the frame puts off a lot of dust.  Tomorrow I am taking the trailer frame to my uncle's house.  We are going to strengthen the frame in a few spots, fix a few cracked welds and add a hitch receiver to the back so we will be able to mount a bike rack.


 Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment