Friday, August 14, 2015

Look what followed me home

A months ago, my family went camping for the first time.  We met some friends at the Hocking Hills State Park campground.  They had a 27' camper, we had a tent. Needless to say, we had a blast.  It really is nice when your phone has no service.

On our second day, a tiny little camper pulled in. The camper was maybe 10'.  It looked out of place with all the large campers with pop outs.  It was old and very rounded and 3 full sized human beings and a dog camped in it.

On the drive home, while my son talked about the massive 5th wheeler with a back deck, Jill looked online to find information about this small camper.  We loved what she found.  For the next few days we dove into the world of "canned hams" and vintage campers.

Well, I am a decent carpenter who loves to build, so I have been searching the internet for a vintage camper for weeks.  Late last week, I found one on craigslist.  She was small and dirty with a messed up roof and water damage, but she was cheap.  On Wednesday, I drove to Newark, OH to take a look at her.  For me it was love at first site.  Through her dirt and grime, I could see potential.  The seller was a great guy, helping me hook up towing lights and taping down loose ends for the drive home.  She probably had not moved in 5 years, but the camper pulled easy and quietly as I drove away.

I stuck to the back roads which is hard to do coming back to Dayton when you have to go across Columbus.  I couldn't move too fast because the A/C Unit on top has caved in the roof and it wobbled a lot over 55 mph.  Anyway, after a 6 hour round trip journey, I parked her in the back yard.



3 comments:

  1. What year is your Scotty? Mine is nearly identical. It does not have a roof mount A/C and your kitchen counter looks more modern and longer. I still haven't tried very hard to find the stamp on the tongue. My kitchen counter is a one piece molded fiberglass unit with sink molded into it, also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What year is your Scotty? Mine is nearly identical. It does not have a roof mount A/C and your kitchen counter looks more modern and longer. I still haven't tried very hard to find the stamp on the tongue. My kitchen counter is a one piece molded fiberglass unit with sink molded into it, also.

    ReplyDelete